Being overweight can have some medical cause but many times it's just a result of unhealthy food habits. This habit of excessive food intake can sometimes be a food addiction. Excess weight can lead to obesity and put you more at risk for other chronic diseases, therefore it is very important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, which can be done by eating healthy and exercising. Most of us have trouble controlling our cravings; these cravings are generally for unhealthy foods that are high in fat and sugar. As it's said, “Cravings have little to do with hunger and more to do with boredom.”
Here are 5 tips to avoid Cravings:
- Make small goals: For example, Try to stop eating chocolate for a day and then for two days, keep a record of how many days you went without consuming the food you want to avoid, and each time increase the days to avoid that food
- Removing Temptation: Don't buy tempting food, and when people around you are eating tempting food, try to leave it from there.
- Try drinking water: Sometimes thirst is confused with hunger and therefore when you have specific food cravings, try drinking a glass of water and wait a few minutes, you will see the craving has faded.
- Avoid getting extremely hungry: have meals at specific times, so that you do not get hungry and your stomach is satisfied, hunger is one of the biggest reasons for cravings.
- Practice mindful eating: A person learns about their eating habits and emotions. This will help the individual choose a response to the cravings instead of simply giving in.
The more people eat junk, the more they crave it. It’s a cycle and therefore takes action today, by following these tips you can learn to avoid cravings.